Tuesday 7 June 2016

Charles Manson & the Music Industry

Charles Manson: Each song that I’ve been doing is just one mistake right after another. I just take the mistake and groove on it and it becomes something else. And I do this [strums guitar] and make another mistake. And I just keep making the same mistake and it becomes another beat. You can get all kinds of beats by making groovy little mistakes.
Interviewer: When did you take up the guitar? Before you went into prison, or after you got out? Or while you were in?
Charles Manson: While I was in.
1967 - Charles Manson in a recording studio.

System of a Down & Charles Manson


Excerpts from an Interview with Charles Manson, 1987

“I lived in Hollywood. And I had all that: the Rolls Royce and Ferrari and the pad in Beverley Hills. I had the surf board and the Beach Boys...and all them guys...the Deana Martins and the Nancy Sinatras...’Will you do it to me? I hear you do it good, honey.’ And all that kind of ‘Will you come up to my house later?’

So, I went through all that and I seen that was a bigger prison than the one I just got out of. And I really didn’t care to go back to prison. See, prison doesn’t begin and end at the gate. Prison is in the mind. It’s locked in one world that’s dead and saying or it’s open to a world that’s free and alive.”

Charlie says the girls liked him because he created music...

“And I play and I sing and they said, ‘Hey, man, you’ve got soul in that music.’ And I said, ‘Yeah, I play a little bit, you know.’ They said, ‘Man you’re really somebody.’ I said, ‘Oh, I am? I just got out of jail. I don’t know what ‘somebody’ is. They liked my music. They say, ‘Man, we want to get you over.’ I said, ‘What, ‘We’ll take you down here to Beverley Hills and we want to get you in because you’re a star.’ I said, ‘I’m a what?’ They said, ‘You’re a star.’ So they took me to the Beach Boys and I went and I got on a surf board and I rode around, and I looked and I said, ‘Geez...this is more trouble than what I just got out of. Look at yourself. You’ve got to wear that whether you like it or not. You’ve got to do things. You’ve got to get up and go through all kinds of changes. Whether you want to or not doesn’t matter. Your whole life is put in your paycheck. You couldn’t pay me all the money in the world to do something I don’t want to do. If I’m shovelling the barn, if you want me to go...I say, ‘No, no, no, no, I’m doing something right here. I’m helping this blind man.”

The Music of Charles Manson


[+ Various songs and related material here:

All the Way Alive
 (check out track no. 10 True Love You Will Find)


Unplugged

No comments:

Post a Comment